Sunday 23 September 2012

On My Way…Again



Well the packing is done and in a few hours I’ll be heading to the station to get the overnight train to Kyiv for my flight to Kyrgyzstan tomorrow.  These last 3 months have just flown by.  It has been a busy summer here but I’m looking forward to what is going on in Kyrgyzstan.

This past week Anya and I continued our visits to the baby hospital.  The little boy whose mother “forgot” him for 2 weeks has now been transferred to an orphanage.  Then the girl I mentioned in my last entry turns out to be named Vika who is 1½ years old and her mother drinks.  We were there one day when her mother came to visit.  When the nurse came in to get her Vika started crying at the very mention of her mother.  Then before they could get her ready the mother left without visiting.  Vika has really taken to Anya and has been calling her mama – so cute and so sad at the same time.

Then there is Mikhail who has 2 club feet.  His arms are also shorter than normal and his hands are turned in.  When I was carrying him around he seemed very lethargic and unresponsive.  His eyes were half shut and he seemed to be just dead weight in my arms.  In hospital the kids’ hands are usually in little mittens or are covered with long sleeves.  I guess that’s to keep them from scratching themselves when rolling around in their cribs.  So for some reason I laid Mikhail down, rolled up his sleeves, picked him back up and held his hands.  He grabbed my fingers and perked right up and became VERY alert to the things around him.  I have often heard of the power of touch but I don’t remember ever seeing such a dramatic example of it before.  It’s also a great reminder that the least little action we do can make the world of difference to someone else.  I find this so humbling,

I also managed to get to the kids rehab centre to spend some time with the kids there.  They are an amazing bunch of kids.  Then yesterday on my last full day in Krivoy Rog I went with Lena T. to visit the girls at Sunshine Orphanage.  I can’t think of many better ways to end my visit here this time.

So off to Kyrgyzstan I go (again).  I’m still wondering what activities I’ll be able to do on a shoestring budget but I’ll figure that out when I get there.

If anyone wishes to help with my ongoing support or any of our programmes, or to help me sponsor activities and needs just click the donation link for LinK 127 at the right side of this blog.  You can donate on line or find the mailing address under the “Details and Contact info” tab to send a cheque.  When mailing a donation please include a note to specify where you may like your gift to be directed to.  (For on line donations there’s a drop down box with my name in it and a memo box for instructions.)  Donations from Canada are tax deductible.

I ask for your continued prayers and support.  I can’t do this without all of you. Thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time…Я люблю тебя!

Anya and Vika

Mikhail and I

This is a craft we did at the kid's rehab centre.  I got reprints of one of our McDonald's and movie day photos so that they could have a souvenir.

They had a lot of fun decorating their "frames."  I still get a kick out of those "Russian" smiles.

At Sunshine Orphanage

The girls at Sunshine like to borrow my camera & smart phone to take pictures.  This is my new favourite shot of me.

Next stop - Kyrgyzstan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment